Want to know the hidden secret to developing effective safety training materials?
Actually, there’s no hidden secret. But there ARE some well-known, tried-and-true methods, and they’re documented in ANSI Z490.1, the national standard of Criteria for Accepted Practices in Safety, Health, and Environmental Training.
In this 30-minute, recorded, on-demand webinar, we introduce you to ANSI Z490.1, and focus on four aspects of developing effective EHS training that Z490.1 calls out:
- Writing learning objectives that pass the ABCD and SMART tests
- Using a blended learning solution for safety training and selecting training delivery methods based on the need for “adequate feedback”
- Tips for developing effective safety training, including using credible information sources and following some best practices of instructional design
- Evaluating safety training using Kirkpatrick’s four-level evaluation method
If you want to get started listening, go right ahead, just click the “READ MORE” button and listen and watch/listen away.
Also, know that we’ve got a series of related helpful links for you below the webinar video, and we’ve also included our helpful Guide to Effective EHS Training as a free download below that, too (that’s the guide that we talk about during the webinar).
OK, welcome to “this side” of the READ MORE button.
As a reminder, here’s what we’ve got for you below, in order:
- The recorded webinar
- A series of links to resources related to topics covered in the webinar
- A free Guide to Effective Safety Training (the guide that’s mentioned in the webinar)
Let us know if you have any questions. And leave any thoughts in the comments section at the bottom.
Hope you enjoyed that webinar. As promised, we’ve got more for you below.
Links to Resources Related to the Webinar
If you’re the curious sort, and/or want to dig deeper into the information the webinar introduced, we’ve got some helpful materials below.
Z490.1, ANSI, and ASSE
Convergence Guides and Blog Articles about Effective EHS Training
- Effective EHS Training Guide (you can also download this from the bottom of this page)
- Z490.1 Overview
- Sections 1, 2, and 3 Overview
- Section 4 Overview
- Section 5 Overview
- Section 6 Overview
- Section 7 Overview
Training Delivery Methods and Selection
- Blended Learning Best Practices
- Blended Learning Overview
- Training for Basic Job Knowledge
- Scenario-Based Learning for Advanced Job Skills
Effective Training Development
- Adult Learning Principles
- How People Learn
- How to Write Training Materials
- 25 Graphic Design Tips for Training Visuals
- Kirkpatrick’s Four Levels of Evaluation
- Training, Business Goals, and KPIs
- How to Write Better Smile Sheets (Level 1 Training Evaluations)
- Some Best Practices for Workforce Training Testing
- How to Write Multiple-Choice Questions
- Tracking Training-Related EHS Leading Indicators
Mentioned During the Webinar
- Julie Dirksen’s Book Design for How People Learn
- Will Thalheimer’s book Performance-Focused Smile Sheets: A Radical Rethinking of a Dangerous Art Form
- Hemingway Editor website
How Keep in Touch with Convergence Training
Here are some ways to learn more about us or keep in touch:
- Our EHS and mining safety e-learning courses
- Our learning management systems (LMSs)
- The Convergence Training Blog
- Or just click the Chat feature on your screen to say hi or ask a question
Our Free Guide to Effective EHS Training
And of course, you can click the button below to get the free guide mentioned during the webinar.
Effective EHS Training: A Step-by-Step Guide
Learn how to design, create, deliver, and evaluate effective EHS training by following these best practices with our free step-by-step guide.