Like what you see? Ask us for a full-length preview and pricing options for our entire course catalog
Request full preview
Flying insect stings are typically minor but can be very serious. The seriousness of the reaction depends on a number of things including how many times they were stung, and whether or not they are allergic. The best thing to do is to avoid being stung. This often comes down to wearing appropriate clothing and PPE, knowing where these insects tend to live, and being alert and watchful. In most cases, these stings require only minor first aid. In other cases, however, stings require immediately getting the person to emergency medical assistance. In addition, if the person is allergic and has an epi-pen, you may have to administer it on the person's outer thigh. Be sure you know the stinging insects where you live, how to avoid them, and how to provide first aid especially for more serious reactions.
First Aid - Flying Insect Stings
Flying insects, such as bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, and even so-called “killer bees” are common throughout the United States. In most cases, they aren’t aggressive and they don’t seek to sting humans. However, when stings do occur, they’re typically minor and require only limited first aid. In other cases, however, especially if the person who’s stung is allergic to the sting, or if the person is stung many times, the situation can be quite severe or even potentially fatal. In this course, you’ll learn how to avoid being stung by flying insects, what to do if someone has been stung and is having a mild reaction, and what to do in the event of a severe reaction to a flying insect sting, including what to do if the stung person is allergic.
Request full-length preview