At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- List two ways to avoid being burned at work
- Explain the difference between first, second, and third degree burns
- Identify first, second, and third degree burns
- Explain the first aid to provide for first and second degree burns
- Explain the first aid to provide for third degree burns
- Explain the first aid to give for sunburns
- Explain special aspects of the first aid to provide for chemical burns
- Explain special aspects of the first aid to provide for electrical burns
The following key questions are answered in this module:
What are some effective ways to avoid being burned at work?
Follow safe work practices, use appropriate PPE, and be aware of burn hazards at work.
What are the different "degrees" of burns?
Burns are often classified by degree: first, second, or third degree burns. A first degree burn is minor; a second degree burn is more serious; and a third degree burn is the most serious of all.
What are some different causes of burns?
People can be burned in many ways. Some common types of burns include heat (thermal) burns, including sunburns and being burned by something hot or a fire; chemical burns; and electrical burns. There are others, too, including radiation burns.
Below is a transcript of the video sample provided for this module:
Burns are common and can occur in the variety of ways, including from a hot pan in the kitchen, from grabbing a hot metal tool at work, or even from electricity or a chemical spill. When a burn does occur, you might have to provide first aid to a burn or yourself. However, knowing how to deliver first aid for a burn can be completed because the type and severity of the burn will each affect the kind of first aid provided. In this course, you'll learn how to provide first aid for a variety of burn injuries.
Use the additional resources and links below to learn more about this topic:
- Mayo Clinic – www.mayoclinic.org
- May Clinic Burns webpage - http://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-burns/basics/ART-20056649
- WebMD – www.webmd.com
- WebMD Burns webpage: http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/burns-home-treatment