DOT Hazmat - Highway Carrier Loading and Unloading Requirements

SKU: C-1063Duration: 44 Minutes

Pay-per-view (PPV) format perfect for individual users.

Get immediate access to this interactive eLearning course online. Must be used within 30 days, expires 48 hours after launch.

Language:  English

Great for in-person classroom training or as an alternative to DVD.

Includes printable documents and Convergence Video Player for Windows systems. Content expires after 1 year.

Language:  English

Ideal for corporate licensing and high volume users.

Get Convergence courses into your current LMS to track and report employee training. Or contact us to learn more about the advantages of licensing our courses with the Convergence LMS.

 Need help deciding? Compare delivery formats.

Course Details


Training Time: 44 minutes

Compatibility: Desktop, Tablet, Phone

Based on: 49 CFR, Subpart D, Part 177

Languages: English

The Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) apply to the transportation of hazardous materials in commerce. This includes the movement of these materials, plus all associated loading, unloading, and storage activities. Part 177 of the HMR contains requirements related to the transportation of hazardous materials by private, common, and contract "for hire" motor carriers. These carriers must also comply with several other Parts of the HMR, and many requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR).

Learning Objectives

At the end of this module, you will be able to:

  • Define the terms "hazardous material," "exclusive use," and "sole use," according to the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR)
  • Describe when the HMR apply to highway hazardous materials shipments
  • Describe the shipping paper recordkeeping requirements for hazmat carriers
  • List general loading and unloading requirements for hazardous materials
  • List the loading and unloading requirements for hazardous materials in Classes 1-5, 7, and 8 and Divisions 2.3 and 6.1

Key Questions

The following key questions are answered in this module:

What kind of training is required for drivers transporting hazardous materials?
In addition to general hazmat employee training and FMCSR-required training, hazmat driver training must cover vehicle operations, pre-trip inspections, vehicle attendance, parking, smoking, routing, incident reporting, and loading and unloading of materials.

Are their special loading requirements for cylinders containing Class 2 Gases?
Among other requirements, cylinders containing Class 2 Gases must be adequately secured, packed, or restrained to prevent movement under normal transportation conditions.

What is an "exclusive use" vehicle used to transport Class 7 Radioactive materials?
"Exclusive use" means that the current shipment only contains radioactive materials and is under the direction of a single consignor.

What is the difference between a "sole use" vehicle and an "exclusive use" vehicle used to transport Radioactive materials?
"Exclusive use" vehicles only sometimes transport Radioactive materials, while "sole use" vehicles are only ever used to transport Radioactive materials.

Are there any special requirements for vehicles used to transport Division 6.2 Infectious substances?
Vehicles used to transport Division 6.2 Infectious substances must be disinfected prior to reuse if any material is released during transport.

Sample Video Transcript

Below is a transcript of the video sample provided for this module:

Loading and unloading requirements for Class 1 Explosives include: • The engine must be turned off during loading and unloading, unless an exception listed in Section 177.835(a) applies • Handle explosives with care - do not use bale hooks or metal tools, drop or throw packages, or place explosives anywhere near hot tailpipe exhaust

Additional Resources

Use the additional resources and links below to learn more about this topic:

Customer Q&A

I would like to have several employees take multiple courses. How can I set that up?

We're in the process of making bulk course and multiple user purchases easier. But for now, you can order multiple courses and contact us with details on who you'd like to assign courses to. We can set up each user's training plan and make sure everyone gets the eLearning assignments they need.

Can I get a free full-length preview of a course to see what this course covers?

While we do our best to offer details on course contents, we don't normally offer full-length previews. But please contact us with more details for a better understanding of what your organizaton needs and how we can help.

Do I get a certificate when I complete a course?

Yes. All of our courses allow you to print a completion certficate upon successfully passing the integrated test at the end of each eLearning course.

How do I log in to take a course that I have already paid for?

You'll receive an email with login details moments after you purchase your pay-per-view (PPV) course. Just click the login link and enter the user name and password provided.

Do you have courses in different languages?

Yes. While all of our courses are originally produced in English, we develop many courses in a growing number of languages, including Chinese, Dutch, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tamil, and Thai. Available languages are normally displayed in the Course Details section on each course page.
Added to Cart! Click here to view your cart.