Jeff Dalto of Convergence Training recently co-presented in a webinar titled “Integrating Safety into Organization Learning Efforts” along with Assistant Professor Morgan Bliss of Central Washington University. The webinar was hosted by the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) Training & Communications Practice Specialty. We’d like to thank both Morgan Bliss and the ASSP for their help & contributions on this.
We’ve got a recorded version of the webinar that you can listen to for free below, and a long series of related resources for you below that, including recommended books, national standards, and links to related articles.
Hope you found this helpful. I’ve included some additional resources related to safety and learning for you below:
- Synge, The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of the Learning Organization
- Garvin, Edmonson, & Gino; Is Yours a Learning Organization? (Harvard Business Review)
Working Out Loud
- Stepper, Working Out Loud: For a Better Career and Life
Safety Differently/Safety II/New Safety/Human Performance Improvement (HPI)/Human & Organizational Performance (HOP)
- Conklin—Pre-Accident Investigations: An Introduction to Organizational Safety; Workplace Fatalities: A Failure to Predict; Pre-Accident Investigations: Better Questions—An Applied Approach to Operational Learning
- Dekker—Just Culture: Balancing Safety and Accountability; The Field Guide to Understanding ‘Human Error’; The Safety Anarchist
- Hollnagel—Safety I and Safety II—The Past and Future of Safety Management; Safety II in Practice—Developing the Resilience Potentials
- Reason—Human Error; Managing the Risks of Organizational Accidents; Organizational Accidents Revisited
- SafetyDifferently.com (www.safetydifferently.com)
- Cartsen Busch—Safety Myth 101: Musings on Myths, Misunderstandings, and More
- ISO 31000; ANSI/ASSP Z690
Safety Management Systems
- ISO 45001; ANSI/ASSP Z10
Prevention through Design
- ANSI/ASSP Z590.3
Learning, Training & Safety Training
- Dirksen, Design for How People Learn
- Pradhan, Learn to Learn app (Leran2LearnApp.com)
- ANSI/ASSP Z490.1
- ANSI/ASSP Z490.2 (upcoming)
- Stanford D School, “Get Started with Design Thinking”
- European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation (Eurocontrol), Systems Thinking Safety: Ten Principles-Moving Toward Safety I
- Denis, Lean Production Simplified
Other Related Books
- Kahneman, Thinking Fast and Slow
- Gladwell, Tipping Point
- Ericcson, Peak
- Heath & Heath, Made to Stick
- Pink, Drive
- Silver, The Signal and the Noise
- Ayers, Carrots and Sticks
Related Articles on Convergence Training Blog
- 9 Things to Know About HOP
- How to Conduct a Learning Team
- What Is Safety Differently?
- HOP, Operational Learning & Learning Teams
- Conducting Pre-Task Pre-Mortems
- Safety and the Learning Organization
- Lifelong Learning, Learning Agility & the Learning Organization
- Risk Management, Systems Thinking, & Safety Management Systems
- 5 Steps to Implementing Risk-Based Safety Management Systems
- Intro to the ISO 45001 Safety Management System Standard
- What Is Lean?
- What Is Kaizen?
- What Is a Kaizen Event?
And before you go, please feel free to download our FREE GUIDE TO EFFECTIVE SAFETY TRAINING.
Effective EHS Training: A Step-by-Step Guide
Learn how to design, create, deliver, and evaluate effective EHS training by following these best practices with our free step-by-step guide.