This blog post is for people who attended the presentation on Online Safety Training facilitated by Morgan Bliss, Associate Professor at Central Washington University’s Safety and Health Management program, and Jeff Dalto, Senior Learning & Development Specialist at Convergence Training/RedVector. Or for those who wish they were there.
What we’ve done here is try to provide some additional materials to help you learn more about, evaluate, and implement online safety training solutions at your workplace.
Click “More” to see what we’ve got for you.
Conference Presentation Materials
Here are some of the materials that we distributed at the conference:
- The PowerPoint presentation we used to facilitate the discussion
- The Worksheet we provided to presentation attendees
We fielded a question about OSHA education requirements and didn’t have a complete answer for it, so stay tuned and we’ll address that question shortly in this space.
Researching, Evaluating & Implementing Online Safety Training
The articles in this section are directly related to helping you research, evaluate, adopt, and implement online safety training at your workplace.
- Online Safety Training Buyer’s Guide Checklist
- Evaluating Online Safety Training: 6 Steps
- How to Pitch Your Boss on Online Safety Training
- Reasons to Add Online Safety Training at Work
- 18 Online Safety Training Myths Debunked
- Online Safety Training Glossary
You might also find this 60-minute, free, on-demand webinar interesting:
More General Articles About Online Safety Training
The articles in this section provide more general information about online safety training. They will provide more information about what online safety training is, some reasons to consider using it, and provide some examples of how to implement and use it effectively at work.
- How Online Safety Training Can Improve Your Workplace Safety Record
- 12 Ways to Deliver Online Safety Training
- 7 Ways Online Safety Training Helps New Employees Work More Safely
- How to Use Online Safety Training: 11 Easy Ideas
- How Using Online Safety Training Helps You Make Best Use of Instructor-Led Safety Training
- Animations and Online Safety Training
- Case Studies: 10 Stories of Customers Who Implemented Online Safety Training
- 3 Ways Online Safety Training Can Improve Your Safety Culture at Work
- What Is Online Health and Safety Training, Really, and What Can It Do?
- Better Safety Training with an LMS and eLearning Courses
- How Online Mining Safety Training Can Save You Time and Money
- Ultimate Guide to Online MSHA Part 46 Compliance (Free)
- Does MSHA Allow Online Safety Training?
- Blended Learning Best Practices (includes free guide)
Online Safety Training eLearning Courses
The articles in this section deal specifically with online safety training courses–also known as eLearning courses. They provide general helpful information but also include information about why eLearning safety training courses can be effective as part of an overall safety training program.
- eLearning Courses for Online Safety Training
- How Animations and 3D Animations Can Make Safety Training Better
- How to Create Your Own Safety Training eLearning Courses (On-Demand Webinar)
- What Is an eLearning Authoring Tool?
- Better Safety Training for New Employees via Better Visuals
- Better Mining Safety Training with Better Visuals
Online Safety Training and Learning Management Systems (LMSs)
The articles in this safety provide information about how training management systems (also known as learning management systems or LMSs) can be used as part of an online safety training system.
- LMSs for Online Safety Training
- How an LMS Can Improve the ROI of my Health and Safety Training Program
- How an LMS Helps with New Employee Safety Onboarding
- Tracking Training-Related EHS Leading Indicators
- Common Contractor Orientation Challenges
More General Articles about eLearning
The articles in this section deal with eLearning courses in general, without the specific focus on safety and health training.
- 8 Times When eLearning Is Better than Instructor-Led Training
- eLearning Basics: LMSs, Authoring Tools, and SCORM
- Using eLearning for Standard, Consistent Training Message
- eLearning or DVD?
- What is SCORM?
More General Articles about Learning Management Systems (LMSs)
The articles in this section deal with learning management systems (LMSs) in general, without the specific focus on safety training.
- 70/20/10, Performance Support, and On-Demand Learning with an LMS
- Signs You May Outgrow Your LMS
- 12 Ways to Administer Instructor-Led Training with an LMS
- Is an LMS Only Good for Online Training? Nope.
- What Is an LMS?
Online Safety Training and Mobile Safety Training
Here are some resources for considering benefits of mobile apps and devices for mobile safety training:
Online Safety Training and Different Parts of the Workforce
Here’s a look at online safety training in relation to different parts of your workforce:
A little thin, huh? We’ll build this section up, we promise!
Helpful Articles about Safety Training
This section includes articles with helpful information about safety training in general, without the focus on online safety training.
- List of Training Requirements in OSHA Standards
- OSHA-Susan Harwood Training Grant Program
- MSHA-Training and Education Resources
- University of California Systemwide Training and Education Workgroup-EH&S Training Best Practices Standards and Guidelines
- CDC/NIOSH-Job Training Analysis IC 9490 Information Circular
- ASSE Training & Communications Practice Specialty
- NSC Safety Training Resources
- Chunking Safety Training
- Adult Learning Principles for Safety Training
- Guide to Effective Safety Training
- How to Develop Effective Safety Training (Free On-Demand Webinar)
- 15 Tips for Effective Safety Training
- How to Make Safety Training More Fun: Tips from Safety Managers
- Chunking Mining Safety Training
- Safety Training and Humor
Helpful Articles about Training
This section includes articles that deal with training in general, without the focus on online training or safety training in specific.
- Association for Talent Development (ATD)
- How to Write Training Materials
- Putting Adult Learning Principles to Work
- How to Write Learning Objectives
- How to Create an Effective Training Program: 8 Steps to Success
- How to Format Written Training Materials
- How to Write Better “Smile Sheets”
- Testing Employees After Training: Best Practices
- How to Chunk Training Materials
- Why People Don’t Remember Their Training
- How People Learn (Or Don’t)
- How People Learn (from Sensory Memory to Working Memory)
Learning is More than Just Training
There’s more to learning and being a safe organization than just safety training.
Along those lines, please enjoy any of the following articles:
- Using Learning Teams for Safety at Work
- Safety Differently and Training
- Lifelong Learning and Learning to Learn
Lists/Reviews of Online Safety Training Providers
The articles in this section are third-party sources of objective information about safety training providers and safety training solutions. Here are a few lists of safety training providers, including online safety training providers.
- ISHN Magazine, Safety’s Top Training Companies, 2015
- ISNH Magazine, Safety and Health’s Top Training Resources
- OH&S Training Management Software Buyer’s Guide (Requires Sign-in)
- OH&S Training Software Buyer’s Guide (Requires Sign-in)
And here’s a website that provides objective, third-party evaluations of learning management systems (LMSs) AND reviews from real users of those LMSs.
We also think the Talented Learning website is a good place to get objective, non-biased information about LMSs and reviews of LMSs. And we think the book LMS Success: A Step-by-Step Guide to LMS Administration by Katrina Baker is a helpful resource.
And finally, here’s some more stuff that may be of interest to you.
We are looking for more links for this section…please leave a note in the comments if you can recommend some.
Online Safety Training Buyer’s Guide Checklist
Learn how to evaluate different online safety training solutions to find one that best fits your company’s needs with our FREE informative guide and checklist.